Video Storytelling Contest: Tips and Resources
As we head ever closer to the Oct. 27 submission deadline for the video storytelling contest – only one week away – we want to repeat our invitation to participate so that you can increase your ability to raise awareness about your organization before Valley Gives Day!
Enter your video, and get a chance to have your nonprofit be featured on one of several news shows in the region!
If you plan to submit a video, email us at email@example.com as soon as possible. We need to know who is taking part for planning purposes. There are other guidelines you also need to be aware of before submitting your video; read about them in our recent Oct 9 Valley Gives blog.
How to make a great video
We want you all to succeed! For three simple tips on improving the production end of your video, watch this three-minute clip from viz-bang! productions: http://www.viz-bang.com/?p=429
How to set up a YouTube Channel
All videos must be submitted to us via YouTube (or other video sharing site, such as Vimeo). If your organization does not currently have a YouTube channel, visit this link to learn how to create a YouTube channel so you can submit your video. https://support.google.com/youtube/#topic=3024169
What makes for a great video story?
In her training earlier this month, Debra Askanase offered great advice on planning the storyline for your video. Here are some of her tips:
- Simplify a complex idea.
- Tell a story.
- Find a relatable main character.
- Create sympathy and empathy.
- Present a problem and solution: make it hopeful.
Remember you can keep it simple:
- People don’t have to speak in the video.
- You can use still images.
- Inspire action to give on Valley Gives Day!
Other important reminders:
- Upload the submission form which includes the link to your video no later than Oct. 27 at 11:59 p.m. Here’s a link to the submission form: http://bit.ly/1wk54Qd
- Send only one video submission per division of a nonprofit. (General guideline here: If you have your own Razoo page, you can enter a video.)
- No recycled videos; your entry must be created specifically for this contest.
- Don’t forget the Valley gives logo and include the Twitter hashtag (#valleygives) in the video and in the TITLE!